What is Negative SEO? How one can protect their website and what are the consequences
The last few years saw a lot of changes in the entire SEO industry and methods for ranking high in Google for competitive keywords have become much harder. The reason for that is black hat SEO is harder to execute and the chances of getting caught are also very high. However, there is a new type of SEO that has emerged called “negative SEO.”
What is Negative SEO?
Negative SEO is much more malicious than standard black hat techniques which were previously employed to improve ranking. But in the case of negative SEO unethical techniques are used sabotage a competitor’s rankings in search engines.
The following points are the different Negative SEO attacks which can seriously cripple your website and business
- Hacking your website
- Building thousands of spam links to your website
- Copying your content and distributing it all over the internet
- Pointing links to your website using keywords that have no association with your business
- Creating fake social profiles
- Removing the best backlinks your website has
Is Negative SEO a Real Threat?
Negative SEO is a real threat and many websites had to pay very high price. The fact is preventing negative SEO is the whole lot easier than fixing it because once the damage is done it is next to impossible to recover from it.
How to take Preventive measure to stop Negative SEO Attacks
- Set up Google Webmaster Tools Email Alerts
Google can send you email alerts when
- Your website is being attacked by malware
- Your pages are not indexed
- You have server connectivity problems
- You get a manual penalty from Google
So make sure you are connected to your website to Google Webmaster Tools.
This is blog is just to give you basic understand of is what negative SEO is and how you can protect your business from becoming a victim. Remember your website is the face of your business and you must take every step to protect it.